Know Your Debt Collection Rights
The worst part about debt is the stress and anxiety of the process, especially the harassment of debt collectors. Luckily, the worst part about debt is one of the best parts of the Dallas bankruptcy process; the automatic stay. Even if you don’t decide to choose bankruptcy, you can still protect yourself against creditors.
Fair Debt Collection
Did you know that the government has a law to protect you in debt collections? The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is designed to help protect consumers from abusive debt collection efforts by outlining rules for creditors to follow. However, this isn’t to say that many debt collectors do violate these rules in hopes of having a better chance at collecting on a debt. Knowing your rights can help you spot unfair collection practices and give you the ability to report violators to the Federal Trade Commission.
Some of the basic rules prohibit debt collectors from:
- Calling before 8:00am or after 9:00pm.
- Using threats of violence or abusive language when communicating with you
- Repeatedly calling or making several phone calls in a short period of time.
- Contacting employers, friends or family members to get in contact with you.
- Making false claims or statements about your debt or actions to come if you don’t pay.
- Reporting inaccurate information about your debt, who they are or their role in the collection.
- Making statements about wage garnishment or repossession in attempt to collect on a debt.
For more information on the guidelines for debt collectors visit: